Tradition and quality
The estate is located in the Jura and spreads over three appellations : Arbois, Côtes du Jura and l’Etoile on 65 hectares. Rolet père et fils is a family owned estate (2nd generation) making wines with their own vineyards only. The culture is sustainable, with no use of chemical herbicides (ploughed soil only) nor insecticides. Yields are low, between 15 to 50 hl/ha depending the appellations and wines.
The soils in Jura are complex and vary a lot regarding the appellations and locations. The estate pays strong attention to plant the right vines on the right soil, for instance :
- Red and blue marls are dedicated to Poulsard
- Heavy gravels, which are also warmer soils, perfectly fit for the Trousseau
- Light marls are for the Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
- Grey marls for the Savagnin
The estate was created by Mr. Désiré Rolet in 1942, with just 4 ha, and was taken over by his children, Eliane, Bernard, Guy and Pierre in 1958. In one generation it has developed a lot! Vines are always planted on steep slopes. They prefer to use light caterpillar machines vs. heavy tractors in order to not damage the soil, which will pass only on specific grassed pathways. Harvests are manual only, every year, with 80 people picking for 4 weeks in the vineyard to select the best grapes – the only way to produce high quality wines!
- Chardonnay from different appellations : Arbois, Côtes du Jura and l’étoile,
- Naturé : Savagnin aged in topped-up barrels for one year.
- Expression du terroir : blend of 25 % Savagnin traditionally aged for 3 years in barrel with spontaneous flor of yeasts, and 75 % Chardonnay topped-up barrel aged for 2 years and then one year in vat
- Tradition blanc : blend of 25 % Savagnin traditionally aged for 4 years in barrel with spontaneous flor of yeasts, and 75 % Chardonnay topped-up barrel ageing for 2 years and then two years in vat
- Rouge : Poulsard rosé and red, Trousseau, Pinot Noir and blends of these red grapes for the cuvée “Tradition”
- Crémant du Jura white and rosé
- Emblematic wines from Jura : Vin Jaune (100% Savagnin aged 7 years at least under the flor), Vin de Paille (from grapes dried over winter), Mac vin (Vin de liqueur)
All technical information is available in English upon request.